Friday, November 16, 2007

A little about myself

So, a little about myself.

I had the noble distinction of being the youngest—and shortest-tenured—writer for Chris Carter’s The X-Files. Not exactly a great start.

Anyway, despite the lack of a good reference, I was able to rub elbows with another TV great: Joss Whedon (trust me, with my record, this is the last name I’ll really be able to drop). I had what you might call an internship with the writing team during the production of Firefly. My only output was a ten-minute webcast. Trust me, it’s more thrilling than you would think.

After floundering for a year or so, I finally got another break. Apparently someone at Warner Aspect liked a manuscript I’d submitted and before I knew it I was a Smallville novelist. Future is on bookshelves today. I think.

So my next production was deemed too “cinematic.” So, what else could I do but send it to a different department? You may not have realized this, but Time Warner also produces films.

So, it seems made-for-TV is the best I could do. I figured, if I can publish a novel with no formal writing training outside high school English, I bet I could direct a movie, right? I took Film 101 in college! Well, I wasn’t wrong. I produced a movie, The Champions of Kal-El, even got the green light for the sequel. Granted, the funding was revoked halfway through the filming, but something interesting did happen.

I landed on a TV crew again. My own. Seems there weren’t words for how bad CW’s new hit Friday night drama was, so I was offered the time slot of death. How could I refuse? And by golly, if Archangel Investigations didn’t last seven episodes! More than twice as long as my predecessor. My money’s on my successor not lasting till the end of the summer.

I love TV.

You’d think that was the end of the story. I think Madeleine Sullivan of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution says it best.

Many ask about the smiley face (^_^) at the end of most of my stories and shows, adding strange, useless, and sarcastic commentary. That's Sonriso. You can even see him in his corporeal form invading my title banner. Sonriso is my imaginary production assistant. Call him a dissociative personality. Call him an imaginary friend. He's just there. I can't get rid of him. So, we'll just have to deal with him together.

No comments: